Thanks

Things to take to Puerto Rico

Hi Guys
    I am moving to Puerto Rico in March and i recently got back from a short visit there in which i met up with people both from here and other places, the only things is me and my daughter forgot to ask about a number of questions that we keep thinking of LOL does anybody know the best way to get our belongings across to the island? appliances like irons, laptop, hair straightners, am i best bringing those with me or buying them over there?

Thanks any advice or info is greatly appreciated

Sue

p.s if anyone heres of any upcoming jobs let me know as me and my daughter will both be looking to work in Gran Canaria

Thanks
    Hi Bet you are excited now...we brought everything and then just changed the plugs over, others sold everything and bought new here. It depends how much stuff you are bringing to which method is best for you, you can either get a removal firm to do it for you, drive it over your self, fly it over. it really does depend on how much and what you are bringing?

Thanks
    Hi, was lovely to meet you the other week, really helpful! It was good to come over for them couple of days to chat to various people and get things sorted. I hope that we can keep in touch even when we come to live over there. We have been looking into getting things acroos by removal companies,we do not really have alot of furniture, though we do have alot of other stuff, we are going to look into being able to bring more over on the plane with us. we did wonder about blankets and towels for our apartment but we think maybe it best to buy them in Uk.

Thanks for the advice, if you think of anything else, just let us know

Thanks
    Laptop - if you have one already then bring it with you. The working system on it willl be in english but if you buy it here, it'll be in spanish. You can buy programmes to change it but its an extra hassle.
    Most things you can buy here, but you get a better selection in the North. I know Redswan, when they first moved over here, seemed to spend their whole time going up to the north to get something.
    If money is an issue, you need to work out whether its cheaper to pay the postage, or excess baggage or shipping costs, to the time spent and money used to buy new. I would bring as much as you can to make your like easier when you arrive. There is enough hassle with out having to find the right kind of hair straighteners etc
    Mary
    The British Medical Clinic,
    Bungalows Martinica 19, Puerto Rico
    www.britishmedicalclinic.com

Thanks
    As Mary siad we did spend the first 3 months here driving back & forth to places like Leroy Merlin in the North it does make life easier if you can bring your stuff but as Mary say's you do need to work out financially if it is worth it or cheaper to buy new here. Go do those figure's.

Thanks

good luck

wo good luck to you hope all goes to plan for you.... oh and u were asking about thing to take ffrom UK
    u could take me id be no hastle honest...... lol, oh and my kids would have to come to sorry they may be hasstle,
    wishing you all the luck in the world:grin:

never regret anything that made you

Thanks

moving

thanks ever so much for your help, were slowly getting things sorted, getting touch with removal companies to see how much things would be to take over, cant wait now, so excited but at the same time bit scared bout some things ie being able to get a job, if anyone thinks of anything, advice etc then just let me know, it is greatly greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Hi,

We are in the process of taking stuff over to GC, no furniture but essential kit like PC, DVD/home cinema, the usual stuff like CD's, photos, cloths etc., oh! and two mutts.

I have found that apart from your allocated 20kg luggage you can take excess baggage at about £6.50/kg so for another 15kg you could pay £97.50 extra.

There are quite a few firms that will send small packages (up to 25kg) airmail and some will collect too which takes out the hassle of getting the parcels to the airport along with all your other stuff.

Check out these links:
    http://www.interparcel.com/quote/
    http://www.postvan.com/uk/
    http://www.voovit.com/Int/Int_start.aspx
    http://xsbagsandboxes.co.uk/index.php

By the way, the dogs are going excess baggage but I have'nt told them yet.:grin:

Cheers KD

Thanks
    Hi thanks for your reply!
    We did think about just taking our stuff as excess baggage as we are not taking any large items like a wardrobe etc but do you have to put all the stuff in suitcases or can you package them in boxes, for like the pc and tvs? when will you be making the move? whereabouts in GC will you be moving to? have you got jobs lined up for when you come over? we have some quotes for moving things out there with the cheapest being 1200 euros though now we know about prices for excess baggage, this seems a cheaper and easier way ??!!

Thanks
    Hello again gilbert44,

Excess baggage can go in any format as long as its well packaged to withstand the handling procedures at airports. You know, you see all sorts getting taken on holiday, surfboards etc. If you are taking vulnerable stuff like PC/Tv etc. then get it well packaged, I would say better than the box it came in.
    I am using a subsiduary of British Airways called GB Airways flying out of Gatwick (only because Bristol don't handle pets anymore !!). They have been very helpful with info, especially about the dogs. They offer a door to door service with cargo so worth getting a quote.

Here's the link
    http://www.amgcargo.com/client-airli...cargo/gb-home/

Cheers
    KD

Thread Information