Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thanks

Schools~~help needed

Hi

Having spent the first month we were here going back and forth to the school to try and get our kids in we were eventually told in June to come back on 4th Sept. We were able to get them into summer school (thankfully) but with that coming to a close and sept fast approaching I want to make sure that I have every single bit of paperwork I need.

Has anyone been through the school nightmare? can anyone give me guidance and advice on what I exactly need for when I go back in Sept?

Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    lou
    ive sent you a copy of a pm i got if it helps
    jim

Thanks
    Thanks for that Jim

Thanks
    Documentation

In general, to apply for a place at a Spanish school which is publically funded, you need passports to prove nationality (or D.N.I. if Spanish citizen), the child's FULL birth certificate and if applicable, other documentation which shows who the parent/s or guardian/s are, marriage papers if relevant, (or The Family Book if Spanish citizen), documentary evidence of domicile in Spain - i.e home address in Spain, or if applicable, work place. In some regions, child's vaccination certificates. If applicable, evidence of any disability.

This was from Ideal Spain website - but its for spain in general not specific to here.
    Mary
    The British Medical Clinic,
    Bungalows Martinica 19, Puerto Rico
    www.britishmedicalclinic.com

Thanks
    How do I apply for a school place?

There are no British schools on the island. The nearest one is in Lanzarote, which involves a ferry journey from Corralejo and then a bus journey, so is only really feasible for older children living in the North of the island.
    Most foreign residents’ children enter the Spanish education system.
    In some areas schooling is provided from the age of 3, but is compulsory from the age of 6. The school year runs from mid-September through to mid –June with a three-month summer break and approx 2-week Christmas and Easter breaks. There are no half-term holidays.
    For primary age children the school day begins at 8.30 and finishes at 1.30. For secondary age it begins at 8.00 and finishes at 2.00. Some schools provide school lunches, in which case the school day is extended to about 2.30.
    All schooling is conducted in Spanish. Most children pick up the language within 6 months to 1 year, but Spanish lessons are not provided by the school. Children may be put back a year if they are struggling with the language.
    To apply for a school place you need to be registered as living in the “municipio”
    which you do at the Ayuntamiento (town hall).
    You will also need to provide a
    statement of your income (by means of a tax return, if you have one, or a signed
    declaration from the Ayuntamiento if you do not), a copy of the child’s vaccination
    certificate and birth certificate as well as photocopies of the parents’ passports or
    Residents' cards.
    You will also need to complete an application form from the school
    itself. You can apply for a place in a school in a different area from where you live,
    but as in UK, priority is given to those living within the catchment area of the
    school.
    The schooling itself is provided free of charge by the state, but all
    course books and materials have to be purchased by the parents at the start of the school year.

From Fuerteventura living website
    Mary
    The British Medical Clinic,
    Bungalows Martinica 19, Puerto Rico
    www.britishmedicalclinic.com

Thanks
    Thanks for that Mary, we were told we needed social security numbers but no one else seems to have been asked for these??

shirley Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redswanlady View Post
    Thanks for that Mary, we were told we needed social security numbers but no one else seems to have been asked for these??
    from (what ive been told.) These are to prove that any children you have are entitled to free state medical attention in case the child is ill at school, So they can take them to the nearest state doctor, This i think is another reason why you have to prove that you are working here and paying into the state medical system. (If you are) then any children you have get state medical attention, Provided by your payments into that system here.

shirley Guest
    If you are self employed, your assesoria should obtain these for you.
    if you are employed your employer will sort this out for you.

Thanks
    So, does that mean only we need them or do I have to take the kids to the social security office and get theirs??

Thanks
    for British shools on GC see here

http://www.britishschoolofgrancanaria.com/

Thread Information