Thanks

Two Die in Walking Incident

As reported in todays Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...e-3109080.html

what is the weather like today?

Thanks
    Although this is tragic, and my thoughts go out to their families....who in their right mind goes hiking at 78 years of age, when the temperatures are over 40c on the day in question, in the area she was in it was 48c!!!

and today cooler at 35c lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redswanlady For This Useful Post:

claire1967 (15th May 2012)

Bristol uk,where i would rather be over in gran canaria
    Thanks
    Louise

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redswanlady View Post
    Although this is tragic, and my thoughts go out to their families....who in their right mind goes hiking at 78 years of age, when the temperatures are over 40c on the day in question, in the area she was in it was 48c!!!

and today cooler at 35c lol
    I totally agree. Sheer madness to hike in that weather. No matter how fit you are at a certain age, it is too risky to do anything that exertive especially in that kind of heat. It would strain anyone's heart. That with dehydration on top is lethal.

The company who arranged the hike are also responsible. Just took the money and ran.

Thanks
    there will always be people who know better than the experts but!!!! the ones out walking themselves maybe did not know what the conditions were like and were not advised but the guided tour should have known better and should be brought to account for taking people out full well knowing that temps were to be very extreme on the day.

I would imagine organisations like guided tours would have to be licensed to carry out such ventures I know they are here when they go mountain rambles etc.
    apt pics at www.rabcpics.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rab_c. View Post
    there will always be people who know better than the experts but!!!! the ones out walking themselves maybe did not know what the conditions were like and were not advised but the guided tour should have known better and should be brought to account for taking people out full well knowing that temps were to be very extreme on the day.

I would imagine organisations like guided tours would have to be licensed to carry out such ventures I know they are here when they go mountain rambles etc.
    Totally agree with you Rab-c we just got back this morning and the days when it was too hot we stayed in the shade/our room with the air-con on, ventured out for tea at 8ish and it was like walking into an oven, so we decided to stop in the hotel that night as its not worth being ill walking in that heat, whichever TO it was needs to learn from this tragedy even though this shouldnt of took place in the first place, they should of known better than to take tourists out in that heat

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shazajo For This Useful Post:

rab_c. (15th May 2012)

Thanks
    I wonder, or does anyone know, if the hikers have to sign any kind of informed consent (in terms of their health and welfare) to take part in these hikes/excursions?

Thanks
    I agree, however, the heat came on the day before, these walkers were well aware how hot it was before they set out. There are warnings on the TV, in the paper and on the radio advising people to stay in their homes, drink plenty of water...oh and not hike up a mountain!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redswanlady For This Useful Post:

claire1967 (15th May 2012)

Thanks
    Pure madness.... It baking right now, I'm in my mid 30's no one needs to tell me to not go walking up mountains and hills lol

I wake up in the morning hot... I walk outside and it extremely hot and I know that walking up mountains and hills is not for today

13. The Following User Says Thank You to G1uk For This Useful Post:

redswanlady (15th May 2012)

Bristol uk,where i would rather be over in gran canaria
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G1uk View Post
    Pure madness.... It baking right now, I'm in my mid 30's no one needs to tell me to not go walking up mountains and hills lol

I wake up in the morning hot... I walk outside and it extremely hot and I know that walking up mountains and hills is not for today

wouldnt attempt it either ,and im 33 and like to class myself as fit (go on the treadmill etc everyday without fail)its really hard work going on a long stroll in certain heats and never worth it
    Louise

Thread Information