Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts

    Two Die in Walking Incident

    As reported in todays Irish Independent


    http://www.independent.ie/world-news...e-3109080.html

    what is the weather like today?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    1,519
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    Although this is tragic, and my thoughts go out to their families....who in their right mind goes hiking at 78 years of age, when the temperatures are over 40c on the day in question, in the area she was in it was 48c!!!

    and today cooler at 35c lol

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to redswanlady For This Useful Post:

    claire1967 (15th May 2012)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bristol uk,where i would rather be over in gran canaria
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Louise

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redswanlady View Post
    Although this is tragic, and my thoughts go out to their families....who in their right mind goes hiking at 78 years of age, when the temperatures are over 40c on the day in question, in the area she was in it was 48c!!!

    and today cooler at 35c lol
    I totally agree. Sheer madness to hike in that weather. No matter how fit you are at a certain age, it is too risky to do anything that exertive especially in that kind of heat. It would strain anyone's heart. That with dehydration on top is lethal.

    The company who arranged the hike are also responsible. Just took the money and ran.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,578
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    there will always be people who know better than the experts but!!!! the ones out walking themselves maybe did not know what the conditions were like and were not advised but the guided tour should have known better and should be brought to account for taking people out full well knowing that temps were to be very extreme on the day.

    I would imagine organisations like guided tours would have to be licensed to carry out such ventures I know they are here when they go mountain rambles etc.
    apt pics at www.rabcpics.co.uk

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rab_c. View Post
    there will always be people who know better than the experts but!!!! the ones out walking themselves maybe did not know what the conditions were like and were not advised but the guided tour should have known better and should be brought to account for taking people out full well knowing that temps were to be very extreme on the day.

    I would imagine organisations like guided tours would have to be licensed to carry out such ventures I know they are here when they go mountain rambles etc.
    Totally agree with you Rab-c we just got back this morning and the days when it was too hot we stayed in the shade/our room with the air-con on, ventured out for tea at 8ish and it was like walking into an oven, so we decided to stop in the hotel that night as its not worth being ill walking in that heat, whichever TO it was needs to learn from this tragedy even though this shouldnt of took place in the first place, they should of known better than to take tourists out in that heat

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to shazajo For This Useful Post:

    rab_c. (15th May 2012)

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    I wonder, or does anyone know, if the hikers have to sign any kind of informed consent (in terms of their health and welfare) to take part in these hikes/excursions?

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    1,519
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    I agree, however, the heat came on the day before, these walkers were well aware how hot it was before they set out. There are warnings on the TV, in the paper and on the radio advising people to stay in their homes, drink plenty of water...oh and not hike up a mountain!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to redswanlady For This Useful Post:

    claire1967 (15th May 2012)

  12. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Pure madness.... It baking right now, I'm in my mid 30's no one needs to tell me to not go walking up mountains and hills lol

    I wake up in the morning hot... I walk outside and it extremely hot and I know that walking up mountains and hills is not for today

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to G1uk For This Useful Post:

    redswanlady (15th May 2012)

  14. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bristol uk,where i would rather be over in gran canaria
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G1uk View Post
    Pure madness.... It baking right now, I'm in my mid 30's no one needs to tell me to not go walking up mountains and hills lol

    I wake up in the morning hot... I walk outside and it extremely hot and I know that walking up mountains and hills is not for today


    wouldnt attempt it either ,and im 33 and like to class myself as fit (go on the treadmill etc everyday without fail)its really hard work going on a long stroll in certain heats and never worth it
    Louise

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Walking holiday.
    By Dutchpete in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th November 2009, 10:09 AM
  2. Walking in Gran Canaria
    By mary in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 1st April 2009, 04:59 PM
  3. walking to Amadores Beach
    By duffus in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 3rd May 2007, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •