Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks

Thumbs up Tourism is Back!

During the first 7 months of 2011 tourists spent almost 30 billion euros around the Canary Islands, almost 9% up on last year. For July alone spending was almost 7 billion euros, a staggering 15,9% increase on last year and makes the Canary Islands the most successful region of Spain for recovery.

Whilst the Brits (thank you) spent the most here, they actually spent 6,3% less than last year. Then came the Germans spending 5,4% more than last year, next the French spending 11,5% more then the Scandinavian market spending a whopping 17,7% more. The winnter by far are the Dutch, an astounding 27% increase on spending. In general, the average family spent around 100 euros a day.

Another interesting fact is 70% of the tourists coming here are doing DIY holidays, booking everything themselves and avoiding the tour-operator packages.

May it continue!
    www.canaryforum.com/2 for Travel Services

Thanks
    Great to hear it and long may it continue. I suspect that the Canarias got an extra boost this year due to the unrest in the North African countries such as Egypt and Tunisia, the other winter sunspots that they compete with. The availability of cheaper flights from the budget airlines has also helped. Whatever the reason, it is great news

Thanks
    think you have hit the nail on the head there coolcreen quite a few package holidays were redirected to the canaries because of all the unrest.

lets just hope that what they found they enjoyed and return to the canaries again in the future.
    apt pics at www.rabcpics.co.uk

Thanks
    Good news. I might be heading back in October so I find it interesting that most are choosing not to opt for the package holiday as from what I'm finding, the package deals are the cheaper option for me.
    Never regret anything that once made you smile!

Thanks
    We've been booking our own bits for about 3 years now .. much cheaper for us but it does mean we need to travel further to an airport for the cheaper flights.. The jolly we have booked to go over in about 3 weeks is saving us around £500 on a similar package !!

Thanks
    Have been booking independantly for several years, all accommodation money goes direct to the hotels, and, so far pay a lot less as usually the hotels charge per room and not per person!!
    This is especially good for the small hoteliers where the big companies take a lot of rooms at room rate, then charge guests per person - holding on to the profits(!), and leave the hotelier with only a few rooms for them to make a living.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    During the first 7 months of 2011 tourists spent almost 30 billion euros around the Canary Islands, almost 9% up on last year. For July alone spending was almost 7 billion euros, a staggering 15,9% increase on last year and makes the Canary Islands the most successful region of Spain for recovery.

Whilst the Brits (thank you) spent the most here, they actually spent 6,3% less than last year. Then came the Germans spending 5,4% more than last year, next the French spending 11,5% more then the Scandinavian market spending a whopping 17,7% more. The winnter by far are the Dutch, an astounding 27% increase on spending. In general, the average family spent around 100 euros a day.

Another interesting fact is 70% of the tourists coming here are doing DIY holidays, booking everything themselves and avoiding the tour-operator packages.

May it continue!
    I think its great news that the canary islands have had such a great year, my family have personally made 4 trips to gran canaria since mid december and we're in the process of sounding out our 5th holiday since we started to source our own with cheap flights and hotels its saved us an absolute fortune allowing us to return so often, cutting out the tour operator is definately the best move we ever did as our december holiday alone was quoted at £4.974 and we only paid out £756 total yes it is a lot of difference isnt it, so im working on next booking and hope to meet up with more of the forum folk soon
    twink
    Live life to the full each n every day!

Thanks
    The internet has given ordinary people a say in how they can conduct their business. We can see the full picture for ourselves.

Thanks
    Can someone explain how these stats are worked out.Can`t ever remember filling in a questionaire as to how much I had spent on a particular holiday.As to the British spending less,how do they work that out!!!.Do they go around the bars,restaurants asking what nationalities spent the most.Sorry but I am a little sceptical of how they come by these figures.

Thanks
    We were actually asked the questions while we were queing to board the plane about 9 weeks ago in East Midlands airport. A lady asked us all of the qs and roughly how much things had cost , how much we expected to spend etc .... Seem to remember it happening a couple of years ago too

Thread Information