Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks
    British Embassy warns homeowners to ensure they rent properties in accordance with Spanish law.Must be hotting up for them to put out a warning. I wonder how many owners will ignore this and carry on....sorry if i sound a bit harsh but i wonder how many owners will bury their head in the sand and tell themselves it won't happen to me.
    By the way were's Elaine & John these days (the bickeres) looks if Roger hit a soft spot.

http://www.janetanscombe.com/news/br...anish-law.html

Thanks
    Roger, what you say seems about right, but the effect of the fines campaign is to drive people away from renting out, which certainly wouldn't increase tax revenues - just a one off series of fines. How much more sensible to restart a programme of inspecting and licensing suitable properties, which would have to show they met defined criteria, and which would then provide a permanent tax revenue stream.

Jenny, I've been doing more interesting things My intent was only to calm down unfounded speculation over numbers, which seemed to have developed its own momentum. In the British Embassy post on the FCO website mentioned by palbar they say "The British Embassy has become aware of a number of cases where homeowners have been fined up to €30,000 for letting properties". That doesn't sound like thousands of cases to me. The full text is here:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/news/...s&id=796729682
    Last edited by john b; 6th August 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks
    Illegal letting prosecution figures announced

Published 23 October 2012

Since the government announced that it had 7,000 procedures on the go against illegal letting there has been speculation about what this figure comprised. Some thought it was inspections, others actual fines, and some others had a range of different ideas. Now the government has confirmed the numbers of actual legal actions taken against illegal touristic establishments. In 2011, 2,600 cases were initiated, followed in the first six months of 2012 by between 1,300 and 1,500, with a further 600 in process, a total of between 4,500 and 4,700.
    The minister did not have specific figures to hand for the period since July this year, but confirmed those up to June in a press conference given by viceconsejero de Turismo del Gobierno de Canarias, Ricardo Fernández de la Puente, who reaffirmed the Government’s commitment to the whole touristic sector playing by the same rules. The minister said that much time and effort is being put into pursuing the illegal offer in the islands since this disadvantages not just businesses that are operating legally, but also the image of the Canaries as a touristic destination.
    During the press conference, Ricardo FPA confirmed that the new Ley de Renovación y Modernización Turística has been presented to the Canarian Parliament today.

Thanks
    Many property owners purchased their property intending to rent that's why there are approximately 100,000 establishments in the Canaries offering 400,000 illegal beds.
    The majority of resident complexes don't specifically include rules/regulations when selling, its different when selling in a holiday complex holiday complex are very strict on renting.Exploitation is the only "legal" way to rent a property in a complex. Thank you for all your contributions to this thread!

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Hey everyone! I plan on moving to gran canaria in March 2013. Just wondering does anyone know where i could contact private owners or view their properties? I dont want to go through an agency because then i will have to pay a deposit and another months rent on top of that for agency fee!

Thanks
    I think the only way is to drive / walk around the area where you want to live and look for the "Se Alquila" signs in the windows then call them asking first if it's an agency or not.
    www.canaryforum.com/2 for Travel Services

Thanks

Thanks

Thread Information