PDA

View Full Version : New Train Station proposed for Vecindario

Owen
17th March 2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.canaryforum.com/images/train.jpg

Almost 15 million euros and two years will be required to complete the new proposed railway station for Vecindario.

Adjacent to the Atlantico shopping center, the station will offer an additional 40 shops, increase parking by 360 spaces.

Plans are to start construction next year, everything's in place .... all that's needed now are the funds.

mary
17th March 2011, 03:55 PM
Sounds great but dont they have to put the railway in first! lol
Or is the 'new way'....build the stations and then join up the dots with the railway

ok ok ... The new ralway should start the latter half of next year - Las Palmas to PDI and this will be one of the stops

rab_c.
18th March 2011, 01:35 PM
is the choo-choo going by las palmas airport to generate business not that it will be any good for those going further south than pdi. or are the taxi drivers preventing it? good for the traveller but bad for others it seems.

it also seems futile for the short distance involved between start to end and I doubt if people doing a heavy shopping spree will want to be lugging shopping around train stations

ok.......what I am saying is this is a total waste of money it is like the train to nowhere. money would be better used trying to get holiday resorts back to a high standard again to bring the tourist back and generate income not throw it away.

BIG TONY
18th March 2011, 03:48 PM
I for one would'nt use this service, as stated by Rab for the distance involved money should be spent on more urgent projects !!!!!!!!!!!

steve
18th March 2011, 04:10 PM
Yep I too concur with rab, all very pretty and all that but seems a lot of money for such a short trip, money which could help with a needed revamp of some resorts....anyway that's my pennies worth.

Cheers all.

coolcreen
21st March 2011, 10:43 AM
Global Bus provide a great service. What can a train service offer that is not already provided for? If Global Bus extend their direct services (No's 91, 66, 60) to a later finishing time, that is all that is required. It's a very small island. As RabC said, putting this money into the resorts would be far more beneficial to the island

Lindylou
22nd March 2011, 02:11 PM
Looks very high tech!!!! does anyone know if weŽll have a stop at Arinaga?

Owen
14th June 2011, 10:26 AM
The new government has announced that the propose train system along with 17 other projects from the previous government will be placed on hol until they deem the island is out of the current cris & the 120,000 unemployed have work.

Nice to see I am not the only person who can think of better ways of spending 200 billion euros at the moment ...

rab_c.
14th June 2011, 01:32 PM
also heard a whisper that the anfi marina project etc is also shelved meantime reason being lack of cash meanwhile the new road is slowly getting there along with the approach bridge at puerto mogan for thos that know the area it is tunneled through on the right hand side about 700-800 metres from the garage as you come in from rico pic below.

Owen
20th November 2011, 11:30 AM
http://videos.laprovincia.es/gran-canaria/20110304/recorrido-del-tren-gran-canaria-19915.shtml

BIG TONY
20th November 2011, 12:06 PM
If the lunatics that control/manage tourism on the island had any sense and value towards visitors to this beautiful all this could/would have been a reality a good few years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!

rab_c.
20th November 2011, 12:53 PM
very impressive video but!!!!! still a pointless excercise to me cannot see it being much of a service to locals specially shoppers and the airport stop will only serve a few people heading to meloneras area for jollies
money well wasted but what is other peoples view.

claire1967
20th November 2011, 02:44 PM
I'm torn on this.

On one hand I think it is a great idea. I personally am not a driver, nor do I relish the stop/start of the often packed bus journey, and to be able to just get the train would be wonderful, however the thought of the upheaval of the Island when building this and of it being spoiled by train tracks is a real shame.

I also agree that the billions of euros could be spent better elsewhere.

There are businesses closing left, right and centre at the moment.:cry:

liam
21st November 2011, 10:23 PM
as they say......another 'ceausescu' style project........

renovating and revamping the resorts and moving the target demographic rule up a few notches would make much more sense, and indeed, cost an awful lot less....

perhaps i'll send my copy of 'cost to benefit analysis for dummies' to the new government....

sunsand
22nd November 2011, 12:42 AM
as train tracks may be a great shame, so was lots of building on the island - be interested to see whats comes of this train service - whats the matter with the buses whilst on holiday anyway dont people do enough driving back in the uk nice to have a break -

mary
22nd November 2011, 11:11 AM
I didnt watch all of the video but it looks like alot of the train will be underground near Las Palmas up to the airport at least. So less train tracks. This is going to ages/years. Well judging by the length of time the new roads are taking, it'll be 10 years or more.

rab_c.
22nd November 2011, 11:19 AM
not much sightseeing for the tourist there then mary and a white elephant for the locals I would say

Owen
22nd November 2011, 12:44 PM
Even if the funding appears and plans go ahead as hoped, nothing working before 2016 and if you look at similar projects around Europe they are always delayed. If Rajoy really wants to boost tourism here he'll stop the government from investing in it for the moment and they can clean up the resorts first, fix the problems with the beaches, finish off the motorway to Mogan (less than 5 minutes from Puerto Rico to Mogan!), finish off the airport, more green areas as promised in Playa del Ingles .... oooh I could do them up quite a nice list.

dids
22nd November 2011, 06:25 PM
Is it all just `pie in the sky` like the proposed marina at Tauro

Owen
15th January 2012, 08:46 AM
Well the latest news .... the local governments around the island along with representatives of the new prime minister have been meeting to discuss which projects will get public funding and which are to be shelved. Guess what, the train is to be shelved for the moment.

This is not to say forgotten, only that they have finally realised there are better ways of spending our money at the moment other than putting the taxi drivers out of business. Saying that, a staggering 15 million euros of tax-payers cash has already been spent on the project.

2-islandangie
13th May 2013, 06:49 PM
I was interested to notice that they are still showing the video of the proposed railway at San Telmo Bus Station.